Monday, December 10, 2012

Greens (and reds)

I love walking a few steps from the back deck to the raised vegetable patches and plucking some beautiful leaves for salads each evening. 



These are so easy to grow, as long as you remember to water them regularly. I grew some from seed, and some came as baby plants in packs of six. I only ever pull leaves off, and leave the plants to rapidly grow back into generous leafy rosettes. I tend to have eyes bigger than my stomach and plant far too many, but before long they will take umbrage at the climatic conditions and shoot skywards into frilly towers. Rather pretty, but sometimes unpalatable. I'm planning another mini plantation to be ready for the New Year, just in case.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..they look fantastic...wish I had a vege garden :>(

Maybe next year,
Megxx

Anonymous said...

They are so pretty - unlike my icebergs and buttercrunch! I must look out some plants. Mum xxx