Friday, August 19, 2011

Sniffles and snuffles

We've had revolting weather this week. I rather liked the snow, but then it was rained away. It was pretty deep in the back yard.
I was at home sick again, feeling hot and clammy this morning, then all snuffly this afternoon. The weather was very grey, with intermittent rain. Yuck. I'm desperate for a bit of sunshine. All I wanted to do was work on my workroom. I made a list of possible Christmas present ideas earlier this week, and made a start today. I can't show you the finished article, or even tell you what it is going to be, but a few photos will show you the patching and quilting.

I started by making strips out of various bits and pieces from my little stash. I actually do have a very small stash of fabrics, which is a nuisance when I get inspired and have nothing that goes together.

With lots of cutting, sewing and ironing I created this. Working with bigger pieces is actually much less time consuming and fiddly than working with these wee ones. The wonky effect is quite typical of how I always operate- very shabby chic!
I had to do a bit of fiddling around to find the right bits to make quilted panels. I needed to join some bits of batting, plus I used some positively prehistoric calico to back the quilt sandwich. Someone else decided to do a bit of fiddling around of his own.

For some reason my creation was like catnip to Mr. Jasper.
One last rub before I went to give him a tickle and he sunk his teeth into my cardigan and jersey clad forearm, whilst raking me vigorously with his back paddy-paws. He then tore off through the house. No damage done, and he returned shortly afterwards, trying to pretend he was actually a very dignified gentleman.
I decided to practise the "loopy" machine quilting design, which I found surprisingly easy.

Of course I can't show you the finished article since it is a Christmas present, but it looks fabulous. I discovered that little squares (well, let's be honest, they are rectangles), take a lot of work. I've decided to try to learn a new skill, or to practise a tricky one, each time I create a new project. Apart from "loopy" quilting, I did my first lot of chain piecing, which was fun and quick.

I'm still sniffling and snuffling like mad but the weather forecast is good, so I might get some fresh air tomorrow. I want to show off the Happy Holidays quilt off in the sunshine, so hopefully I'll get a chance to take some photos of it tomorrow, now that it is complete. And you are in for a treat when I show you my delectable new bag! XXX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear you haven't been well, that is no good. Nice to be at home in the warm when everyone else is at work though. Looks like you have BEEN BUSY, THE LATEST PROJECT IS VERY PRETTY!!

I AM ABOUT TO HEAD INTO MY SEWING ROOM AND WHIP UP A SKIRT I THINK, i HAVE SOME MORE CATH KIDSTON FABRIC AND SOME CUTE SPOTTY RIBBON TO USE...I SHOULD START MY BLOG UP AGAIN SO I CAN SHOW YOU WHAT I HAVE MADE.
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.
LOVE YOU,
MEGXXXX

woops, sorry about the CAPS lock xx